Digital Communications Manager
The Health Effects Institute (HEI) in Boston, MA, is hiring a digital communications manager. HEI is a leading scientific institute that funds high-quality research on air pollution, energy development, and health effects to inform policy decisions around the world. We seek a motivated and creative person to help us expand and manage our scientific communications in order to reach a broader audience for our work in the U.S. and internationally. This person will work closely with scientific, editorial, and policy staff to understand and articulate HEI’s scientific results, and with external vendors to help develop and implement effective digital communication strategies.
- Develop a strategy, in collaboration with senior staff, for communicating HEI’s science and implement the strategy across multiple media:
- Write and edit content for our websites (www.healtheffects.org and www.stateofglobalair.org), making scientific text accessible to a broad audience.
- Help maintain and enhance a new website.
- Work with outside vendors to manage and host the websites.
- Work with scientific staff and outside vendors to enhance our use of data visualization resources.
- Develop and implement a social media plan (including Twitter and Facebook). Write content and manage engagement and visibility across all social media channels.
- Manage e-mail blasts announcing publications, newsletters, and important events using MailChimp or similar programs.
- Track website usage and monitor effectiveness of various communication strategies and create usage reports.
- Create and manage audience surveys for internal and external research needs.
- Expertise in web content management and maintenance; social media campaign development, execution, and maintenance; use of newest technology to advance messaging and publicize new reports and activities.
- Experience in science and technical writing and communicating science to a general audience.
- Two to five years of experience with developing audio-visual materials, social media strategy and content, and managing and interpreting Google Analytics.
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail, and good work ethic and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in science/communications/journalism/English.
- Experience with Drupal-based content management desirable.
Either full-time (35 hours per week) or part-time (between 25 and 30 hours per week) employment will be considered. Salary range $60,000 - $80,000 depending on experience. HEI offers excellent benefits and a stimulating environment.
Applicants should send a letter, resume, writing samples or design samples or other evidence of relevant experience, and the names of three references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Communications Manager.” Incomplete applications will not be considered. References will not be contacted without first checking with the candidate. Interviews will start the week of February 4 and will continue until a suitable candidate has been found.
Please send your materials to:
Health Effects Institute
75 Federal Street, Suite 1400, Boston, MA 02110
The Health Effects Institute (HEI), a leading independent, nonprofit research institute, has provided rigorous, impartial, and important science to the national and global public debate on the health effects of air pollution over three decades. Supported jointly by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the motor vehicle industry, and periodically by other domestic and international partners, HEI provides science to inform key national and international regulatory decisions and other actions that are directly relevant to improving air quality. HEI’s approach is centered on funding high-quality, independent scientific studies that are strategically selected and carefully designed to inform upcoming decisions about air quality policy. HEI funds research at leading institutions throughout the world through competitive selection processes, oversees this research attentively, and publishes its findings broadly, enabling policymakers to apply it in their actions to protect the public health. Information on HEI is available at www.healtheffects.org
Health Effects Institute is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.